By Beth, Feb 7 2018 04:51AM
I just sent this letter to Lifeway (who is sponsoring the Together 4 the Gospel event http://t4g.org/ in April at which CJ Mahaney is scheduled to speak.)
I will let you know what/if I hear back.
APRIL 10, 2018
Hi all, I did hear back from LifeWay, and they said they would forward my email to higher ups.
In any case, CJ Mahaney will no longer be speaking at the Together 4 the Gospel conference, as he has stepped down (thanks to the hard work of Rachael Denhollander and the Wartburg Watch website.)
This is a significant statement that Ms. Denhollander made last week at a speaking engagement at Harvard University:
When asked, "How can people trust the church and Christianity?" in the wake of sexual abuse, Denhollander simply said, "Don't."
"The church is made up of fallen people," she said. "I trust my Savior."
Denhollander said that while she is a "very conservative evangelical," she believes the Church has a long way to go when it comes to dealing with victims of sexual abuse.
"That's a hard thing to say, because I am a very conservative evangelical, but that is the truth," she said. "There are very, very few who have ever found true help in the Church."
Trust Jesus Christ, and ask for the guidance and strength of the Holy Spirit in reporting abuse in the church.
Report it to the police immediately and do NOT trust the church to simply handle an abusive situation and protect the victims. Tell the authorities. Stand up for justice and righteousness, as did our Lord. Be a voice for those who have been oppressed and offended by evil doings. Shine a light for truth!
******UPDATE #2 -- APRIL 14, 2018******
In the past 30 days:
1) Pastor CJ Mahaney, (co-founder and keynote speaker of the "T4G" (Together 4 the Gospel) conference in St. Louis, MO) withdrew from his speaking/hosting role in the wake of Rachel Denhollander's claim that his churches have been involved in a years-long major sexual abuse cover-up. http://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2018/march/cj-mahaney-withdraws-t4g-conference-sgm-rachael-denhollande.html
2) Pastor Andy Savage of Highpoint Church in Memphis resigned after it was brought to light that, as a Youth Pastor, he had sexually abused a 17-yr old student in his youth group. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/03/20/memphis-megachurch-pastor-resigns-sex-abuse.
3) President Frank Page of the Southern Baptist Convention resigned from his office over what is being called a "morally inappropriate relationship" came to light. So far, further details have been withheld. https://baptistnews.com/article/southern-baptist-leader-steps-down-over-moral-indiscretion/
4) Mega church leader Bill Hybels has stepped down from Willow Creek Church in Chicago after allegations from multiple women alleging sexual harassment and abuse in the workplace. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-hybels-willow-creek-resigns
5) Pope Francis issued a statement yesterday admitting that he had wrongly ignored the pleas of multiple Catholic church members who alleged sexual abuse by a powerful bishop in Chile. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/world/americas/pope-francis-sex-abuse-apology.html
It seems like a profoundly poor time for those of us who are leaders in the Church to attempt to bury our heads in the sand.
Ephesians 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
Ephesians 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
Ephesians 5:15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
Ephesians 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
Ephesians 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
Feb. 6, 2018
I am a practicing Christian and currently a candidate for a Master’s degree in Ministry.
I would like to know if, after US Gymnast Rachael Denhollander’s public challenge to Sovereign Grace Ministries to hire GRACE to do a comprehensive investigation of allegations of a large-scale cover up of sexual abuse, you are planning on removing CJ Mahaney from your “Together 4 the Gospel” event if SGM does not support sexual abuse victims by allowing this investigation.
In case you are not aware of these public events, here are some websites to bring you up to date:
Oh, Meagan! I'm so glad to have your site available! We will be sharing your posts on our FB page. Are you on FB? We would love your support, as well. Any exposure for Give Her Wings helps us to help "our" mamas. So glad we are reunited! Love you!
I am not on Facebook, but I am certainly wiling to "talk up" your wonderful organization whenever and wherever I get a chance!!
Give Her Wings is a 501(c) non-profit organization, started in early 2013 with two women and an idea to help another woman. Since then we’ve seen our team, our GHW family (our mamas and their children), and our number of supporters continue to grow. We received our non-profit status in early 2014, and we are amazed at what God is doing! We’re thankful for each person that gives and prays to support GHW. We’re also thankful that God has put together a team that has different strengths that works together to support our common mission.
Give Her Wings, Inc. is run by Dr. David B Cox (DMin, MDiv), his wife Megan (MAR in Pastoral Counseling), Laura Dee (Director) and a fabulous ministry team. Our team has been through much, together, and we love each other and work as one! We love this ministry and we love how God uses us.
(Click on the word "Comments" at the bottom, then scroll back down to the bottom to add a comment on the study!)